Senior Director of Finance and Administration
Job Title: Senior Director of Finance and Administration
Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Type: Full Time
Location: MCAN’s Headquarters in Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: July 30, 2021
Start Date: September 1, 2021
Salary: $80,000 - $90,000
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This position performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- With the Executive Director, create and organize the annual budget
- Monitor the organization’s finances including accounting, cashflow, banking, trends, forecasting, investments and the dynamic nature of MCAN’s work in relationship to funding
- Direct the annual audit process with minimal delays, problems or errors
- Manage and supervise all staff within the department
- Maintain organizational subscriptions and memberships to enhance the ability to meet the mission
- Serve as liaison to landlord; ensure compliance with lease and manage office facilities
- Advise the organization’s leadership on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization and the Board of Directors
- Manage all organizational contracts with external vendors and consultants
- Design and implement systems to streamline the organization’s operations and internal processes
- Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that organizational risk is minimized
- Assist the Executive Director and Senior Staff on funder compliance requirements
- Coordinate funder reporting and other grant-related activities; prepare and process reports, documents, grant agreements, and other related materials
- Develop and implement human resource systems to meet organizational needs; update and maintain employee handbook with policies and procedures
- Manage the employee insurance and benefits plans
- Manage hiring processes: Co-create/update job descriptions, recruit talented candidates, work with senior staff to screen and interview candidates, conduct reference checks, extend job offers, conduct new employee orientation and exit interviews and enhance the diversity with MCAN’s workforce
- Support a strong organizational culture that promotes equity, professional and personal development, teamwork and employee retention
- Plan and execute activities to build relationships, enhance trust and infuse fun internally to the organization
- Ensure that confidential information is secure and stored in compliance with organization and legal guidelines
- Maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local laws in consultation with legal counsel
- Create annual calendar of events in conjunction with other departments
- Schedule, coordinate, help plan and manage logistics for events and convenings including the annual conference
- Coordinate and administer event management and registration software
- Serve as administrative support to the Board of Directors, as necessary, including managing the quarterly board meetings
- Partner with the Executive and Deputy Director to implement a strong equity strategy and position the organization as an equity leader across the state
- Manage the operational relationship and systems to support multiple affiliate organizations, with whom MCAN serves as fiscal agent
- Investigate, discover and implement opportunities to create organizational efficiencies and build capacity of the MCAN team
As is typical, this is not an exhaustive list of duties. All staff perform other duties in pursuit of accomplishing organizational goals and objectives. The organization and its departments and positions evolve over time to better respond to an ever-changing landscape.
ABOUT THE MICHIGAN COLLEGE ACCESS NETWORK
Since our founding a decade ago, Michigan College Access Network has known that college changes everything — and perhaps even more critical to our mission is the belief that college is for everyone.
We do what it takes to provide students in Michigan with a brighter long-term future, through college access and postsecondary certificate and degree attainment: doing the research, talking to agents of change, connecting resources, being a changemaker.
Why? By encouraging Michigan residents to earn postsecondary certificates and degrees, we not only help them earn more and promote their well-being—we also strengthen Michigan's talent pool, retain and attract businesses to the state and stimulate Michigan's economy in the process.
Through college access, we are also able to promote equity in our state. We work to ensure that every student in Michigan has the opportunity to attend college — especially low-income students, first-generation college-going students and students of color.
We are proud to put forth a strategic plan that works to ensure that each and every student across Michigan has access to the knowledge, tools, and support to make college a reality. The Board of Directors is currently creating the organization’s next strategic plan.
VISION AND VALUES
College is postsecondary education
We use the term college to refer to attainment of education beyond high school, including postsecondary certificates and academic degrees.
College is a necessity
Postsecondary attainment dramatically increases an individual’s economic independence in a knowledge-based economy.
College is for everyone
We work toward changing the systems that perpetuate inequities in postsecondary attainment.
College is a public good
Postsecondary attainment is critical to a just and equitable society, strong economy, thriving democracy, and healthy communities.
EDUCATION, JOB KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate should:
- Have an understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities
- Have experience considering the impacts of college access and success on multiple communities, including communities of color and those with low socioeconomic status
- Have experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process
- Have at least 8 years’ experience supporting the business activities of a nonprofit organization
- Understand the annual financial auditing process and have the ability to build systems to ensure its success.
- Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment
- Solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector – especially for postsecondary attainment
- Have strong written communication skills that demonstrate professional composition, clarity, and reflect the tone of the Michigan College Access Network
- Demonstrate confidence, competence and communication
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office products and the Google suite of products as well as knowledge of basic office and communication equipment and software
- Communicate clearly with MCAN staff and its partners
The ideal candidate must:
- Hold a bachelor degree in a relevant field (Accounting, Business, Finance, Human Resources, etc.) Priority will be given to those with a master’s degree.
- Have an unwavering demonstrated commitment to equity
- Have a valid in-state driver license for local travel
- Successfully complete a background check free of offenses that would preclude employment in this work.
This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including generous health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, significant paid time off, and paid holidays.
MCAN believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply.
For questions related to this position, please email Ryan Fewins-Bliss, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, please submit resume, cover letter and references to https://mcan.smapply.org/prog/senior_director_of_finance_and_administration/