Strategy Manager - High School Innovation
Job Title: Strategy Manager – High School Innovation
Reports to: Director of High School Innovation
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Lansing, MI
Application Deadline: Posted on October 14th 2021: Position opened until filled
Start Date: November 2021
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000
ABOUT MICHIGAN COLLEGE ACCESS NETWORK
Since our founding a decade ago, Michigan College Access Network has known that college changes everything—and perhaps even more critical to our mission is the belief that college is for everyone.
We do what it takes to provide students in Michigan with a brighter long-term future, through college access and postsecondary certificate and degree attainment: doing the research, talking to agents of change, connecting resources, being a changemaker.
Why? By encouraging Michigan residents to earn postsecondary certificates and degrees, we not only help them earn more and promote their well-being—we also strengthen Michigan's talent pool, retain and attract businesses to the state and stimulate Michigan's economy in the process.
Through college access, we are also able to promote equity in our state. We work to ensure that every student in Michigan has the opportunity to attend college—especially low-income students, first-generation college-going students and students of color.
We are proud to put forth a strategic plan that works to ensure that each and every student across Michigan has access to the knowledge, tools, and support to make college a reality.
VISION AND VALUES
College is postsecondary education
We use the term college to refer to attainment of education beyond high school, including postsecondary certificates and academic degrees.
College is a necessity
Postsecondary attainment dramatically increases an individual’s economic independence in a knowledge-based economy.
College is for everyone
We work toward changing the systems that perpetuate inequities in postsecondary attainment.
College is a public good
Postsecondary attainment is critical to a just and equitable society, strong economy, thriving democracy, and healthy communities.
For more information, visit www.micollegeaccess.org.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director who also serves as the director of the High School Innovation strategy, the Strategy Manager will assist with leading MCAN’s work in strengthening school systems and college access practitioners through professional development, research, data, innovation, investment and technical assistance. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, technically-capable, detail-oriented, and has the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES
The Strategy Manager performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Support the organization in reaching its equity and inclusion goals. Assist in the audit of existing programs and design of new programs to ensure they are designed to close gaps, specifically among low-income students, first-generation college- going students, and students of color.
- Enrich MCAN’s professional development strategy focused on serving college access practitioners including but not limited to school counselors, K12 staff, and nonprofit professionals.
- Facilitate the high school innovation grantmaking strategy including providing ongoing coaching and technical assistance to grantees.
- Coordinate and manage the review process for all departmental grantmaking.
- Serve as the primary manager of the online grants-management system for the High School Innovation strategy in partnership with the Strategy Manager for Community Mobilization.
- Serve as the primary lead of the School Counselor Fellows program and work in partnership with the Center for Equity and Postsecondary Attainment at San Diego State University to support the Fellowship program.
- Serve as the primary lead of the Academic Transitions grantmaking strategy focused on developmental education and placement reform including ongoing coaching and technical assistance to grantees.
- Manage and grow the Roadmap to Opportunity project focused on providing tools and resources for direct service providers to better advise students on stackable education credential pathways.
- Provide leadership and management to the College and Career Champion Professional Learning Community in partnership with the Strategy Assistant for High School Innovation.
- Serve on MCAN’s grant review team. Independently read and score various grant applications and participate in team meetings to review and determine the status of grant proposals.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to the Strategy Assistant for High School Innovation on their key projects.
- Support the planning and hosting meetings, convenings, trainings, and other special events within the High School Innovation strategy.
- Professionally and accurately communicate, in written and oral form, with critical MCAN constituents such as K12 professionals, higher education staff, LCAN coordinators, partner organizations, and state agencies.
- Compile and analyze data to improve effectiveness of MCAN’s strategies.
- Utilize technology to drive efficiency of MCAN’s strategies.
- Attend meetings and events on behalf of MCAN as requested.
- Perform other duties as needed to advance the mission of the Michigan College Access Network.
EDUCATION, JOB KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The ideal candidate must:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Have a strong and demonstrated commitment to equity.
- Have a valid in-state driver license for local travel.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience working with high schools and/or higher education institutions.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field.
This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including generous health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, significant paid time off, paid holidays, and a fun work environment.
MCAN believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. MCAN is also an Employer of National Service.
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 professional references.
For questions related to this position, please email Tricia Lujambio at firstname.lastname@example.org.